Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 9: JICAMA


It's not Jamaica, or formica, or gycima, or your grandma...it's hi-ku-ma! We have a dish at the Restaurant containing this ingredient, and despite the saturation of Latino culture and language in this Southern California area, soo many people have no idea how to pronounce it! I won't hold it against any of you, just wanted to clarify ;)

I must admit that growing up I always thought my mom was crazy including sticks of jicama in the veggie platter...but now I absolutely love it! It's like a crisp apple without the sugar crash! Jicama can also be called "yam bean", which is a rough translation of its Latin American name from where it originates. Jicama is actually the tuber of the root of a bean plant. It is so rich in dietary fiber and low in sugar! Such a healthy source of carbohydrate!

I julienned my jicama without skin, mixed with shredded red cabbage, segments of fresh grapefruit, and candied pecans. Sprinkled with rice wine vinegar and a squeeze of the grapefruit's juice...such a yummy refreshing salad!

HOW GOOD IT IS FOR YOU:

+ 1 cup, skinless, has 46 calories, only 8 of which are from sugar
+ 25% of your dietary fiber need
+ no fat or cholesterol, 1g protein
+ 40% of your Vitamin C! good source of iron, vitamins E and B6, folate, potassium, magnesium, and manganese

FUN FACTS:

+ jicama can be boiled/baked and mashed like potatoes!
+ to be really authentic to its origins, sprinkle raw sticks with chili powder, salt, and lime juice
+ I like that it stars with a J...

No comments:

Post a Comment