Sunday, May 16, 2010

Celiac Food Fair, aka FREEDOM

This past Saturday May 15th I attended, for the first time, the annual Celiac Disease Foundation Conference and Food Fair. Upon entering the ballroom of a downtown hotel, I was surrounded by people with the same diagnosis as me and oodles and oodles of FOOD! I can hardly express how free I felt knowing that I could eat EVERYTHING in that entire room! Here is a summary of my experience:

+ a vast majority of celiacs in attendance were female, "white", and thin

+ gluten-free baked goods are even more unhealthy than their gluten-containing counterparts

+ I am so glad I only have one food limitation: my freedom would have been spoiled if I were still dairy-free or vegetarian

+ ate lunch next to Marlene, a 45+ y.o. woman diagnosed for 25 years. She still gets excited about being given a gluten-free meal at the annual convention. She says it gets easier but most challenges never change...yay?

+ I truly have adopted an untrusting celiac mentality: with the presentation of a salad, various dressings, and a hot entree with sauce I felt very nervous not asking about the ingredients, even though I knew I was in the best of hands. And the next day when I felt nauseous I wondered if I had been gluten-poisoned, even though I can't imagine how that would be possible

+ met a 21-yr-old USC student with celiac disease AND type I diabetes. She is hoping first for a cure for celiac disease - says it's the more challenging disease

+ I am lucky to have been diagnosed so quickly...most celiacs undergo up to years of testing before doctors perform the right ones

+ symptoms of celiac disease vary WIDELY...some people vomit right away, others like myself would never know the difference

+ the standards for celiac treatment (the rules for food choices and avoiding contamination) are still changing. Vinegar and hard liquor? ok as of 10 years ago. Oats? ok as of 5 years ago (if certified GF). How to eat at restaurants? still very much under debate!

+ I wish I lived in Italy: with my diagnosis I would receive free blood tests and surgical screenings, 2 additional paid days off work each year (fo what I have no clue), money for gluten-free groceries, and restaurant of gluten-free pasta and pizza!

+ although ALL gluten ingested will cause inflammation from the immune response, research shows that up to 2mg per day will not cause the death of intestinal cells which most affects malabsorption and risk for cancer(research still in progress)

+ cookies, cupcakes, pizza, cookies, cake, cookies, cookies, and more cookies

+ I am not alone

No comments:

Post a Comment